Thursday, September 4, 2008

another letter

Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs. X,

This letter is just to let you know I am only one person and if you could get that in your head, maybe things will be better.

If you call me useless in front of my face and in front of your family, it doesn't make me want to serve you any better. I am not your personal maid. No, I don't just stand there while you choke as you told them. If I didn't care, don't you think I would have walked away instead of watching you gasp for air? I'm sorry to say but that doesn't make any sense.

When you tell them I don't do anything, did you see me run up and down the hall to make sure the doctors and other nurses looking after you have everything they need. Did you hear how many people I had to call and talk to just to follow up what needs to be done?

And although I never complained about it, I didn't eat breakfast and I only ate my lunch for 15 minutes just to make sure you are okay. You are not the only person I needed to look after but I explained to the rest of them that I am busy with an emergency. Some gave me a hard time but hey, priority is priority.

So the next time you call me useless, make sure you know what you are saying. You can request not to have me as your nurse and I won't protest. Everyone knows I did my best. And just to let you know, I only smile out of politeness. I can only restrain myself so much before it affects my work.

I don't know how it feels to be in your position as you don't know how it feels to be in mine. All I'm asking is for you to be understanding as I have been.

No comments: