Thursday, June 12, 2008

the chair

After almost a year of refusing to go to the dentist for not having insurance, I am now back as a regular customer thanks to my newly approved card to "free" dental care. They love me again as I now have numerous appointments for cleaning, filling and whatnots.

Today was a (re)filling of my silver tooth courtesy of eating sweets when I was a kid. Back then, they didn't have those fancy on-the-spot x-rays or even this laser-like source of heat to dry the filling in a matter of seconds. Technology really is mind boggling at times. The things people invent to make life easier and more expensive.

I had my mouth open for almost 40 minutes today. Five of those was with a latex type of material spread across my mouth, a couple of metal to keep it in place and a mouthful of saliva threatening to drown me. In my head I was screaming to be suctioned but they left me "for just a few minutes" to attend to another customer. Errr. I still manage a nod and a smirk when they came back and apologized though. Politeness will be the end of me one day. After an ample dose of anaesthesia injected on my gums, I experienced a short lived tachycardia. Do I have some sort of fear towards needles? :S Impossible. I have given hundreds of needles and been poked enough times (while watching) every time I have a blood test to prove otherwise. Funny how a needle in my gums is different. Hmmm.

In one or two weeks from now, I'll be back once more for two more (re)fillings and conversations about how satisfied and fulfilled they are with my gums. Sigh.

-------------------------

I want some halo halo with some sort of fancy name like "supreme halo halo". Err. That's the best name I could think of. Scoops of ice cream, ube and a slice of leche flan. Yummm. I miss Philippines.

But since I'm thousand miles away and need hundreds of dollars to fly there, I will settle for Selecta's Ube ice cream. And when that is done (two more days), watermelon will be the only thing to make me happy.

No comments: