Thursday, July 12, 2007

counting the hours

A week of orientation - 4 classroom days and one on the unit.
I'm tired.

I have been accustomed to sleeping late and waking up at 9 or later for the past few months that it was next to impossible to adjust to my new schedule. My eyes are so puffy every morning that no amount of makeup can hide the four hours or less sleep I had.

Everyday for 8 hours, newly hired nurses were given presentations about everything from work benefits to basic respiratory care. My brain was probably half asleep for most of it. Sigh. I couldn't even think straight when I had to fill out a form for life insurance especially the part wherein I get to decide who will receive the money when I die and how much percent they will get. I kept thinking how morbid it was to fill out such a thing. Errr.

As for the unit, it kind of felt like home. Luckily, I knew the nurse I was shadowing for the day and I was also with a new grad. My preceptor and the nurses from my rotation last semester were there too which made me more comfortable and less anxious. Sadly, I'll be in another rotation when I actually start which means I wouldn't know who they are. Sigh. And even more daunting is I'm officially starting on nights. Eek. I guess insomnia will be my friend. I have a feeling that my sleeping habits will be more screwed up than it already is. Three days straight of nights, 1930-0730. Ack!

Too bad I won't see the fruits of my labour until the last week of July - pay day. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck and hopefully, you won't be too tired. i don't recommend any energy drinks but you might need a booster. be healthy, 'kay? :)

blueskies said...

i know. :( summer wouldn't be fun if i end up sleeping for most of the time. hahaha.

i tried energy drinks but i end up experiencing tachycardia and palpitations. sooo..i stopped. :$