Friday, July 10, 2009

jinxed

While packing our luggage, my dad casually asked my sister and I if we were bringing our stethoscopes. We both laughed and said, "what for?". What can you do with a stethoscope aboard a plane without any medical history of the passenger anyway? And so what if I can hear his or her hearbeat or the gushing of air in to his or her lungs? Nothing. Call a doctor I suppose?

In any case, on our way to Philippines we heard THE announcement we always dread for when travelling - If there is any medical personnel, doctor or nurses aboard the plane, please proceed to the back for some assistance. Dun dun dun. We looked at each other and for a moment and debated if we should go. Of course, conscience and responsibility prompted us to stand up and walk towards the back. We introduced ourselves to the stewardess who kindly informed us that there is a doctor assisting the passenger already. Saved! She still asked us for our seat numbers in case we were needed. Crisis averted.

Of course, that's not the end of it. On our way back here, I woke up with the same announcement. This time, its a small plane where I can see and hear the passenger in need of assistance. Luckily, there were two doctors already attending to the woman who kept saying, "I'm not feeling well". Saved again! Both of them were fine and we all went on with our lives except for one curious passenger sitting beside my sister. I almost pushed her out of her seat because she was practically straining her neck trying to see what`s going on. She`s the type of person who would stop mid-highway to see a car accident. Erm.

Anyway.

I'm just not THAT confident in my emergency-what-to-do skills yet to be called out like that. Maybe someday I won't hesistate to get up and ask, "how can I help you`?

2 comments:

ketchup said...

"I'm just not THAT confident in my emergency-what-to-do skills yet to be called out like that."

and you give me endless prescriptions whenever im sick?!!!

blueskies said...

hahaha.

just for complaining, i'll be charging by the hour next time. hmp.