Monday, February 23, 2009

february is not my month

February is splash month.

Case #1: I was supervising a student change a patient's dressing when she inadvertently put too much pressure on the syringe that caused water to splash in my face as it bounced off a wound. Let's all say it now, ewww... gross.

Case #2: I was giving a patient extra water in his tube (err..tube that goes straight to his stomach) when I didn't realize that I had close the port which resulted in water splashing on my eye/face. The good thing - I was wearing a mask. The bad thing - he's been having some sort of diarrhea.

Sigh.

I have been tested for HIV and Hep A/B because of the first one and I'm not about to be poked again for the second. :$

Who knew that in less than two years of working I would have to file 3 incident reports (the other one was for hurting my back)?

I'm just hoping and wishing that I will never have to file for a needle-stick injury. Eek. The horror.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wear a full face mask when u're on duty! hahaha!

blueskies said...

no, no...face mask would only cover my nose and mouth, a face shield on the other hand would cover my whole face. haha.

ack! i don't know why i've been prone to these things lately. hmp.