Monday, March 23, 2009

oh, I'm just tired

I try to have "selective hearing" when I'm at work - take the positive and let go of the negative. It's not to say that I don't take in to consideration what people tell me, I'm just, as I said, selective.

When I was in third year, I cried when a patient screamed at me even though I knew that it was her diagnosis that led her to act that way. Nowadays, I brush off a "f*ck off" as if I hear it everyday. Instead I say, "oh okay, I'll come back again later then" and march right back a few minutes after to either get the same treatment or an actual cooperation. Thankfully, I haven't been unbearably verbally abused or physically hurt in the process.

In saying that, I was actually offended and hurt when a patient refused care from me. I won't go into details but I don't recall an incident that would lead that person to think of me that way. Sigh. It does bother me but at the back of my head, I just keep reassuring myself that I know otherwise. :(

At the end of days like these, I just tell myself - I'm a good nurse...I'm a good nurse.

Confidence is a plus - so I've heard. :P

--------------------------

You know what's good - orange creamsicle while trying to survive another day at work.

--------------------------

Ever had that burning sensation on your lips when you're dehydrated and unfortunately don't have a lip balm? I do! I DO! And I have it right now! I have to cover my lips and the surrounding skin with ample amount of Vaseline just to relieve the pain. It does make for instant coloured lips. It's even better than rubbing my lips with red M&Ms when I was a kid. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess that's one thing that u need in order to be a nurse...i mean having a "cold heart" kinda thing u know...hahahah w/e ur good people will always have a say to everything soooooo.....

i have this sexual sensation...does that count??

blueskies said...

erm. sexual sensation when dehydrated. i was gonna comment more but yeah...i'll leave it to

ANYWAY! :P

these people who say otherwise are turning me in to a "cold nurse". its only been two years and they say the transformation in me is already showing. haha.

let's translate this now to "real life". no more nice me! erm.